Our team of researchers recently put together a nice graphic and some interesting data explaining why everyone should have a blog! The main points of the article were simple and clearly explains why every individual, business, and organization should have a blog and should be actively and regularly adding new content to it.
Despite some common misconceptions, starting a blog is actually extremely easy (you can have it set up in as little as 5 minutes). And it only takes about $3.95/month to start a blog that includes a personal domain name. It is easy, affordable, and most importantly it is actually quite fun to blog. We wanted to write a detailed step-by-step guide that walks you through the easy process of starting a blog… Following these simple instructions and you can have a blog up and running in a matter of minutes.
Get Started Blogging – Follow These Simple Steps:
- Step 1: First we need to find a web hosting provider for our blog. There are several options on the web; however, not all are quality hosts and many hosts over-charge for their services. On the homepage of BestWebHostingGeek.com you will see 5 hosts on the sidebar. Our team of researchers consider these to be (in our opinion) the best web hosting providers available.
- Step 2: Although the hosting choice is really up to you we highly recommend using Bluehost! We personally use this host for our blog, they are reliable, very affordable, and make it EXTREMELY easy to start a wordpress blog using their 1-click install. We have partnered with this great hosting provider and are able to offer you an exclusive discount on their hosting. To enable this $3.95/month promo rate simple click on our exclusive Bluehost partner link. (partner link)
- Step 3: For the sake of making things easy we are going to walk you step-by-step through setting up a blog on Bluehost. After clicking on the Bluehost partner link above you will be taken to their website. Click on the big “Sign Up Now” button.
- Step 4: Under “I Need a Domain Name” play around, get creative, and choose a personal domain name for your site/blog. This name can be anything from your name or business name (ex. JonathanBurdon.com) or you can get creative and name it anything else that has not been taken. Continue by hitting the “Next” button.
- Step 5: Fill out all the required account and billing information. Bluehost.com is one of the largest and most reputable companies on the internet and secures your private information so you can rest assured your confidential information is safe and protected. Hit the “Next” button to continue.
Tip: During this registration process you may see several boxes where they offer account upgrade options such as a ProPackage, Site-lock, Site Backup Pro, Search Engine Jumpstart, or Domain Whois Privacy. All of these things are optional and to save you money I would recommend you DO NOT purchase these upgrades. The basic $3.95/month hosting is VERY powerful and will work perfectly for your blog… #SavingsTip
- Step 6: After completing this easy registration process Bluehost will e-mail your account details to the e-mail address that you used while registering. Please remember/write down your username and password. We will use this information to finish setting up your blog.
- Step 7: After receiving your account information, visit Bluehost.com and click on the “Control Panel Login” button in the upper right hand corner. You will now be able to enter your account username & password. Hit “Login” to continue.
- Step 8: Congrats you are now logged into your account and are very close to completing your blog install. At the top next to the home button you will see a button that says, “Hosting“, please click that button. Your control panel will now be displayed and you simply need to click on the button that says, “WordPress” to begin the install. You should hit the green “Start” a brand new install button.
- Step 9: During this simple install process you will be asked a series of basic questions, the default selections should suffice for setting up the blog. I would suggest clicking the “Show Advanced Options” button to change the blog title, username, and password.
- Step 10: The final step to installing WordPress on the server is to click on the green “Install Now” button. Be sure that you have checked the box next to, “I have read the terms and conditions of the GPLv2”.
- Step 11: Bluehost makes setting up your blog VERY easy. They automate all of the installation process, database installs, etc. You do not have to do any of this technical work, simply wait as Bluehost automatically installs WordPress. Wait until you see confirmation on the screen that the installation was complete. The screen will display your website URL, Login URL, Username, and Password. It is important that you write down or print this information so you can remember.
Tip: You can now share your blog /website URL with others at any point. It may be viewed at: www.YourWebsite.com.
- Step 12: Congratulations… Within just a couple of minutes you now have successfully installed the WordPress blogging platform onto your server. Now you may automatically beginning working on your blog, adding new posts, etc. To begin working on the blog you simply need to access your admin panel. To do this [in your browser] visit your login URL (ex. www.YourWebsite.com/wp-admin). Type in your username and password to login.
- Step 13: Now that your blog is setup all you need to do is add new posts to your blog. From your admin panel simply click “Posts” and then “Add New” for each new post. Simply add a title to your post in the top box, add the content for you post in the larger box and when finished hit the blue “Publish” button. As simple and as quick as that you have now began blogging.
Tip: WordPress is a very user-friendly backend that makes blogging easy. Over time you can begin playing around with all of the amazing features of WordPress and can customize your blog. You may easy install WordPress themes & plugins to really add some spice to your blog. WordPress has developed their admin panel in a way that allows beginners to play around/adjust settings without risking messing up anything. So don’t be afraid to jump in and try new things!
Our video tutorial and step-by-step guide covers in very specific details how to start a blog. The entire process is very easy and can be completed in as few as 5-minutes. If you are an individual, business, or organization and do not currently have a blog, I would strongly recommend you do so today. I promise you will not regret the decision!
Again, you have the freedom to choose any web hosting provider for your blog; however, our step-by-step guides are centered around our favorite host: Bluehost (partner link)! Clicking on our exclusive partner link will enable an exclusive promo rate that will save you quite a bit of $ with this amazing host! If at any point after registering at Bluehost you would like additional help with your blog, simply call their amazing customer support at: 1.888.401.4678. They will be fast and eager to help you throughout this process.