Every website and/or business owner share a common goal of increasing traffic to their website. I’m not talking about [junk] traffic that can easily be achieved by paying some “traffic-sales” company. I am referring to QUALITY traffic.
We spent a LOT of time on this article trying to provide you with a huge list of strategies. Gladly we put our reputation on the line saying that if you utilize a combination of our suggested methods you will witness a HUGE growth in traffic.
BEFORE WE GET STARTED: It is important to understand that the internet is rapidly changing. If your goal is to achieve long-term/reliable increases of traffic to your website, you should pay close attention to this next VERY important piece of advice.
*Increasing traffic requires a special kind of mindset! To properly achieve this goal you must always have the mindset of growing and increasing your Brand. I would highly recommend staying away from any traffic schemes that do not promote your businesses’ brand in any way.
“The goal of all successful sites should be to drastically increase traffic for a long, reliable, and sustainable period of time. To achieve this you must dedicate all of your time, efforts, and resources towards building a quality and recognizable Brand. Having a memorable website name and logo plays an essential role in long-term Brand recognition.”
The team at BestWebHostingGeek.com wanted to provide you with a quick & detailed visual outlining the different ways to increase traffic to your website. The infographic below will give you a full outline of what we believe to be the most effective strategies. Below the infographic we will touch on each method in greater detail.
(Infographic) Proven Strategies to Increase Traffic to Your Website:
There are essentially three different places that you should turn to if you wish to rapidly increase traffic to your site. First, you should focus on on-site steps that will help prepare your site for success. Next, you should turn two the remaining two off-site methods (free & paid). We have broken down each category further in order to provide you with a complete guide to achieving website growth.
Essential On-Page Strategies:
- Regularly Publish Content:[br]The most important thing you should be doing if you wish to increase your traffic is give others a reason to want to visit your site. You should be regularly writing content related to your niche (expertise). When you publish content on your site there are a few things that you should keep-in-mind. All of the content should be original, it should be well written (little to no errors), should be informative, and most importantly you should ask yourself if the content adds value to the internet. [br] [br]Every successful website should have a blog and be actively publishing on it. Research clearly shows a link between actively blogging and traffic increases to websites. We’ve outlined the simple steps to creating a blog in a previous article. Take the time to publish only QUALITY content. I would rather publish one well researched article than five low quality ones. [br] [br]
- Optimize Website For Search Engines: [br]In order to optimize your website for search engines it is important to understand exactly what they want and don’t want. Google is the largest search engine and their rules should be your primary focus.[br] [br]In order to give you a clear understanding as to how you should operate if you wish to receive traffic from Google, the company has written several documents called: Webmaster Guidelines.[br] [br]Reading Google’s guidelines is essential if your desire is to increase traffic through natural search; however, many website owners fail to even take the time to read this important document. Our research team decided to ask 50 random webmasters if they have ever read the document provided by Google. To our surprise only 26% of those interviewed claim to have read the entire set of guidelines.[br] [br]There are a few easy steps that you can focus on immediately to optimize your website. First, you should use accurate and descriptive Titles to describe your pages and content. NEVER use short or misleading titles. Next, when you add tags to posts please make sure the tags accurately describe the content in the post. The purpose of tags are to help users find content thus [like the Titles] should be very descriptive. Another great way to optimize your site is to make sure you have a clean permalink structure. For example, a website with the following structure “www.yoursite.com/post-about-you/” is much more clean than “www.yoursite.com/493/434234/ga3/post/about/23493.php”. If you are using a service like WordPress they make it extremely easy to adjust your permalinks. Lastly, you should take the time to make sure your website is fast. In the past Google has admitted that speed plays a role in their rankings and that website’s should be fast in order to improve user-experience. There are many way you can speed up your site and so far the best free tool that I have seen to help with this process is called, “GTMetrix“. [br] [br]
- Incorporate Social Tools: [br]I have always heard the saying, “The best advertisement is word-of-mouth”. As a website owner you should make it as easy as possible for your readers to share your site and content with others. Most popular search engines have tools & widgets that you can place on your site to allow users to share your content. The most popular among them all are Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn buttons. [br] [br]We found some interesting research that showed just how much these social buttons can help a site gain traffic. ABCNews reported that after adding the Facebook like button their site’s traffic increased by 190%. Similar to ABCNews, Gawker reported a 200% increase, and most impressively SportingNews.com reported an astonishing 500% increase in traffic. [br] [br]Google has provided a few tools called, “Rich Snippets” that you can add to your website in order to improve the look of your search results. Authorship, Reviews, Music, and Movie Listings are just a few of the snippets you can add to spice up your search results. You can see a full listing of snippets on the Google Webmaster page. [br] [br]
- Start a Newsletter/Mailing List: [br]Recently we decided to start our own newsletter as a way to share our best and most popular content with our followers. If you are looking for a great way to keep visitors returning to your site we suggest signing up for a nice mailing service (like MailChimp) and allowing your visitors to register for your e-mail newsletter. Your newsletters should include the titles of your best content and a brief summary of the content. When users click to read more they will automatically be taken to your website.
Best “Free” Ways Increase Traffic:
- Utilize Social Media: [br] A large portion of a successful website’s traffic should come directly from free social media sites like: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc. You should create a profile for your website on each of these sites and work to grow your network of followers on each site. There are a variety of ways to grow the number of followers on your pages. Our favorite strategies include: inviting friends & family, interact on others’ pages, and hosting contests to gain more followers. [br] [br] You should regularly be sharing content from your website on as many social media sites as possible. If you really want to see rapid traffic growth you should be focused on creating content that is “Shareable” that could potentially go viral. Videos, research, case-studies, infographics, and e-books all had a strong track record in being “shared” by others. [br]
- Gain Strong Links From External Sites: [br] The best links you could possibly gain are received naturally from authority sites in your niche. We do not recommend purchasing links as a method to improve rankings because that directly violates Google’s guidelines; however, some “NoFollow” advertisement link purchases can help drive targeted traffic to your site. The best method to gaining links to your site is to create content that is so good others want to share it. [br] [br]
- Guest Blog Writing: [br]Often popular sites in your niche will allow for “Guest Blogging”. If done properly this can benefit you and the other site. The perfect scenario of Guest Blogging allows for you to create well-written and informative content that will help drive traffic to the other site; however, in the content you may naturally reference your website a few times which will also increase your traffic as well. [br] [br]
- Participate in Online Forums & Communities: [br]Again, this strategy is great because it can benefit everyone if used properly. If you register at a forum in your niche and help others within your expertise you not only help them but it also gives you a chance to share your website/brand. Following the rules of the community you should gain permission to place your website’s link into your profile page & forum signature. I often find that these forums/communities are great mediums to share and ask for feedback regarding new content. [br] [br]
- Utilize Free Press Release Services: [br]Press releases have long been a way to make an announcement of some sort and gain media exposure to your brand. There are many press release services on the web, some that cost, and a few that are free. If you do not have a huge budget but still looking for great results I highly suggest promoting your announcement through a service like PRLog.org, Newsvine.com, or PitchEngine.com. [br] [br]
- Sharing Quality Videos on YouTube: [br] Millions of people turn to YouTube each day and not only to watch something funny or listen to music. For example, “How-To” videos are extremely popular as it allows experts to demonstrate a skill or knowledge with someone needing information in that area. Utilizing free video creators on your computer and a simple web cam or video camera you can create your own videos regarding topics in your expertise. Once you publish this to YouTube you can reference your site/brand in the video as well as the description.
Best “Paid” Ways to Increase Traffic:
- Pay-Per-Click Networks: [br]If you have a budget and looking for a quick way to bring in targeted customers you may want to turn to Pay-Per-Click networks. When you use these networks you agree to pay a set fee for every click/visitor the network sends you. Google Adwords is by far the largest and most used pay-per-click network; however, there are several others out there to choose from including but not limited to: Clicksor, Yahoo Advertising Solutions, DigitalPoint, and BidVertiser. [br] [br]
- Banner Advertising: [br]Another great way to increase branding and traffic to your website is to purchase banner advertising on sites related to your niche. My favorite banner advertisement network is BuySellAds; however, there are a few other good ones out there including: Adroll.com and BuyAds.com. [br] [br]
- Sponsored Reviews: [br]Sponsored reviews are another great way to increase traffic to your website. You can use these services to promote your website and brand to other visitors on the web. In order to follow Google Guidelines make sure you have the writers clearly label their posts as a “sponsored post” and use “nofollow” links. Two sponsored review services that have been around a while include: SponsoredReviews.com and Reviewme.com. [br] [br]
- Sponsored Social Media Advertising: [br]Want to have celebrities or other popular companies promote you to their followers? There are now a few services out there that allow you to purchase a “Sponsor Tweet” or “Sponsored Post”. This is a great way to get some high profile notoriety to your website. Using a service like SponsorTweets.com or IZEA.com will not only increase your traffic but also will promote your Brand which should always be your goal. [br] [br]
- Direct Social Media Advertising: [br]Another great medium for advertising your website is on social media sites. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram all have ways that you can buy advertisement on their network. If I am spending money for traffic I like to receive targeted visitors to my site and Facebook allows for VERY targeted advertising. [br] [br]
- Premium Press Release Services: [br] Previously I touched on how press release services can drive traffic to your site. There are free and paid services our there; however, if you are looking to get the most exposure to your announcement or news it is good to consider a premium press release service. The most widely known and best premium press release services are: PrWeb.com and BusinessWire.com.
Driving quality traffic to your website should be a primary goal of all webmasters and business owners. When developing a long-term strategy to consistently increase website traffic you should focus on anything that promotes your brand as a whole. We encourage you to utilize the different methods outlined in this article if you want to see rapid growth in traffic to your site.
Currently we are working on a HUGE case study to show the effects these methods have on website traffic when combined. We will release our results in a few months; however, in the meanwhile if you enjoy this content please share it with others!
Also, the team at BestWebHostingGeek.com pay our bills from commissions earned from our site when someone signs up for web hosting. If you would like to help us out and also get a discount on hosting please consider purchasing or switching your web hosting provider to Bluehost. In our opinion Bluehost is the best web hosting provider in the world and everyday we put on reputation on the line promoting this great company. If you click on the banner below you will have a special $3.95 Bluehost promo rate enabled which will save you on your purchase and will also help us to continue offering our services and great content well into the future. Thanks for your help!!